Thursday, September 26, 2024

02 - San Franciso Hotel Strike

Hotel workers strike three hotels in San Francisco and tell hotel bosses they want a contract

Photographs by David Bacon

 

Over 1500 hotel workers, members of Unite Here Local 2, go on strike against three hotels in San Francisco, demanding higher wages - Westin St. Francis, Hilton and Hyatt Union Square.  Strikers picket and beat on buckets and gongs to make noise.

 

Meanwhile, hotel workers, members of Unite Here Local 2, go into the lobby of the Oakland Downtown Marriott Hotel to tell management they want agreement on a new contract with higher wages.  Hotel workers are on strike in many other hotels over the contract demand, including in San Diego, Boston and Honolulu.

 

Jin Ling Xie, a housekeeper at the Hilton San Francisco Union Square for ten years, said “Going on strike wasn’t an easy decision, but it’s what I have to do for my family. My job at the Hilton isn't enough to pay all the bills, so I'm always worried. My kids are in high school, and I don't know how I will pay for their college. I know that when we fight together, we can win.”

 

For more images:

 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56646659@N05/albums/72177720320629098

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56646659@N05/albums/72177720320614337

 

SAN FRANCISCO HOTEL STRIKE

 





























 

OAKLAND MARRIOTT






XX
 

No comments:

Post a Comment